For the magnetically well-connected 2 November 2003 and 20 January 2005 flares, the spectra inferred for the energetic protons that produce the γ-ray lines observed by RHESSI are essentially the same, within measurement uncertainties, as the spectra of SEP protons at 1AU. As already mentioned, the extremely rapid rise of SEP fluxes at 1 AU after the 20 January 2005 flare X-ray peak raises serious questions about CME-driven shock acceleration. Measurements of SEPs close to the Sun will provide the timing and compositional information to evaluate how significantly do large flare contribute directly to gradual SEP events.
- Solar Orbiter SOC Public
- Science Activity Plan (SAP)
- Solar Orbiter detailed science objectives
- Objective 3: How do solar eruptions produce energetic particle radiation that fills the heliosphere?
- 3.1 How and where are energetic particles accelerated at the Sun?
- 3.1.2 SEPs associated with flares, coronal loops and reconnection regions
220.127.116.11 Evaluate how significantly large flares contribute directly to gradual SEP events