LTP06 has been confirmed to run from 2021-12-27T00:00:00.000Z until 2022-04-11T00:00:00Z
Orbital context (with RSW placement decided at SWT #29)
Plots are in GSE (geocentric solar ecliptic) coordinates, so Earth is at [0,0], the Sun is at [1,0]. The plot is the projection of the orbit on the ecliptic plane.
New definition for the grey shading representing downlink rates:
- white = maximum downlink rate at which you can empty the SSMM in ~10 days
- light-grey = SSMM fill state decreases with everyone operating at EID-A rates
- mid-grey = SSMM fill state increases within RSW (10 instruments operating) and decreases outside RSW (IS-only breakeven rate < downlink rate < inside-RSW breakeven rate )
- dark-grey = SSMM fill state increases with just IS operating (downlink rate < IS-only breakeven rate)
RS window placement
Safe Mode Comms Blackout
Largest Comms Roll
|/||default roll (along orbital plane)||/|
|RSW2||2022-03-01T16:00:00Z||2022-03-17T00:00:00Z||2022-03-27T00:00:00Z||0.380||0.323||/||/||default roll (along orbital plane)||/|
|RSW3||N/A (concatenated to RSW2)||2022-03-27T00:00:00Z||2022-04-06T00:00:00Z||0.323||0.391||/||/||default roll (along orbital plane)||/|
GAMs, conjunctions and other major platform events
- SSMM maintenance window 10/01/2022 11:44 -> 12/01/2022 2:20 (ENG_WIN). Instruments will need to be OFF, there will be no receiving of TCs nor storing TM in the SSMM in that period.
Science and calibration planning
Note the text in red highlights adjustments still to be made in SOOP Kitchen plan during Long Term Planning
- Cross-calibration with Earth-based assets (crossing of S-E line occurs on 7 March 2022, 09:00 UTC)
- High-res observations during first close perihelion
Coordinated science (and cross-calibration) campaigns: (To be confirmed during SOWG#19)
- 2022-03-02 to 03: Offpointing Mosaic to find connection point, i.e. 3 pointings along N-S line, chosen during pVSTP (L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection-Mosaic)
- 2022-03-03 to 06: Coordinated campaign to point to the source region of the slow solar wind, that will be measured by IS payload at time of arrival at SC (L_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_Slow-Wind-Connection). Pointing chosen at pVSTP.
- 2022-03-07: (Predefined) south pole pointing close to Sun-Earth line crossing (R_SMALL_HRES_MCAD_Polar-Observations)
- 2022-03-07: Pointing to Active Region, chosen at pVSTP, for high-cadence nanoflare observations close to Sun-Earth line crossing (R_BOTH_HRES_HCAD_Nanoflares)
- 2022-03-07: (Predefined) Full Disk Mosaic for connection science close to Sun-Earth line crossing
- 2022-03-07: Coordinated coronal observations, also coordinated with Herschel sounding rocket launch (L_FULL_HRES_MCAD_Coronal-He-Abundance). At sun centre.
- 2022-03-08: Pointing to Quiet Sun, at disk centre, for high-cadence nanoflare observations close to Sun-Earth line crossing (R_BOTH_HRES_HCAD_Nanoflares)
- 2022-03-08: Bright points study, close to Sun-Earth line crossing (R_BOTH_HRES_MCAD_Bright-Points)
- 2022-03-17: High cadence nanoflare campaign close to the Sun (0.38AU), both at quiet and active target, chosen at pVSTP. (R_BOTH_HRES_HCAD_Nanoflares)
- 2022-03-17 to 22: Coordinated campaign to point to the source region of the slow solar wind, that will be measured by IS payload at time of arrival at SC (L_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_Slow-Wind-Connection). Pointing chosen at pVSTP.
- 2022-03-22 to 30: Series of disk-centred coronal dynamics and eruption watch campaigns (L_FULL_HRES_HCAD_Coronal-Dynamics, L_FULL_HRES_HCAD_Eruption-Watch, L_BOTH_HRES_LCAD_CH-Boundary-Expansion).
- 2022-03-30: High cadence nanoflare campaign close to the Sun (0.33AU), pointing at active target, chosen at pVSTP (R_BOTH_HRES_HCAD_Nanoflares) - Metis contribution TBC, seems incompatible with pointing type at ~0.33AU
- 2022-03-30: (Predefined) pole pointing close to the Sun (R_SMALL_HRES_MCAD_Polar-Observations)
- 2022-03-30 to 31: Offpointing Mosaic to find connection point, i.e. 3 pointings along N-S line, chosen during pVSTP (L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection-Mosaic)
- 2022-03-31 to 04-04: Multiple day observation of an Active Region, chosen during pVSTP (R_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_AR-Long-Term) - can it be postponed 1 hour to start after VSTP_UPDATE point?
- 2022-04-04 - 05: (Predefined) pole pointing for longer time (R_SMALL_HRES_MCAD_Polar-Observations)
- Limb pointing campaigns during PSP quadratures:
- 2022-02-22T18:00:00 (POINT_LIMB EAST)
- 2022-02-26T05:40:00 (POINT_LIMB WEST)
- 2022-01-20 to 24: PHI full disk helioseismology campaign (R_FULL_LRES_HCAD_Full-Disk-Helioseismology)
- Flatfield calibration for PHI/FDT and EUI/FSI (CALIB_OFFPOI_FLATFIELD) on
- 2022-03-03T04:00:00 (during RSW1, will be commanded through PTR)
- 2022-03-16T04:00:00 (before RSW2)
- 2022-04-06T10:00:00 (after RSW3)
- Straylight calibration using series of SC offpoints, for Metis and SoloHI (CALIB_OFFPOI_STRAYLIGHT) on 2022-03-14T16:50:00
- Metis polarisation characterisation using SC rolls (CALIB_ROLL_RS) on 2022-03-13T17:00:00
- PHI-specific (re-)calibration of both FDT and HRT at end RSW1
SOOP Kitchen plan
Starting point for LTP06 planning in SOWG#19: https://solarorbiter.esac.esa.int/soopkitchen/#/planning/plan/LTP06_Dec2021-Apr2022
Final plan LTP06: to be added after SOWG#19
- TN on star calibration opportunities and planetary transits
- Schedule future sounding rocket flights: https://sites.wff.nasa.gov/code810/futuremissions.html