- Identify coronal reconnection sites by measuring impulsive event material. Also identify possible reconnection sites by inferring the aspect ratio of current sheets (Pucci & Velli, 2014).
Operational requirements table:
- SoloHI: Contribute (mode: synoptic+shock+turbulence), no min. obs time, all distances.EUI, EUI synoptic mode (S). (Andrea Verdini comment: Measure the aspect ration of current sheets, limiting aspect ratio a/L for tearing or Sweet-Parker reconnection, a/L~S(-1/3), with S-lundquist number~10^13, L~10^4km ⇒ a~300m. Is this feasible with HRI? Tentative EUI obs. plan: HRI 174, max cadence).SPICE:
- Target: Quite Sun, Active Regions, Coronal Holes (and their boundaries)
- Observing mode: Composition mapping, Dynamics
- Slit: 30''
- Exposure time/cadence and number of X positions: 180 s, X=32
- Field of View: 16'x14'
- Number of repetitions of the study: 5
- Observation time: 8 hours (1.6 hours per study)
- Key SPICE lines to be included: Ne VIII 770 Å, Ne VIII 780 Å, Mg IX 706 Å, O II 718 Å, O IV 787 Å, O V 760.4 Å, O V 761 Å, O VI 1032 Å, O VI 1037 Å, Ne VI 999 Å, Ne VI 1010 Å, Mg VIII 772 Å, Mg VIII 782 Å, C III 977 Å, Fe III 1017 Å - 2 profiles and 13 intensities or 4 profiles and 11 intensities (maximum of 15)
- Observing window preference:
- Other instruments: EUI, PHI, METIS, SoloHI
- Comments: The choice of lines, and also the number of intensities and profiles, is flexible, although the sum of the intensities and profiles is constrained to a maximum (e.g 15 for composition mapping). While varying the number of intensities and profiles, within the maximum, has no effect on the duration of the study, it will have an effect on the telemetry.
FDT medium-high resolution data
1024 x 1024 – 2048 x 2048
Ic, B, γ, φ
PHI operating mode
HRT high resolution data
2048 x 2048
Ic, vLOS, B, γ, φ (interlaced with raw data)
perihelion, polar passage
PHI operating mode
- METIS: Measurement of the electron density through the polarised brightness in VL (580-640 nm) in the field of view 1.5-2.9 degrees to derive the evolution of the magnetic field topology from the global corona evolution in different time-scales.
- Global maps of the electron density in corona/coronal configuration.
- MAGTOP (min. obs time 2 hr, data volume ≤ 480 Mb)
- GLOBAL (min. obs time 2 hr, data volume ≤ 300 Mb)
Repeated each half a day in one observation window.
- Other instruments: PHI, EUI, SoloHI, MAG, SWA.