5.10.1 What is the temporal variability of 3D thermal particle distributions?
- Burst mode resolution of EAS and PAS will provide fastest thermal distributions recorded at different radial distances in the solar wind. At high cadence, test:
- how anisotropic and irregular are proton and electron distributions? This can test whether resonant heating or stochastic heating is the dominant heating mechanism.
- how does the anisotropy change in time / space?
- how are distributions related to local turbulence and global expansion? [multiple orbits, radial dependence]
- SWA, SWA Normal Mode, SWA Burst Mode (Scheduled), long-term observations in normal mode, good radial spread of short duration bursts over the mission, other instruments: RPW, MAG, normal and burst.
- Long-term observations.