◦ Determine the properties of the coronal plasma sources and their evolution during the wind acceleration from the photosphere to the corona.
◦ Identify the physical processes responsible for the evolution of the boundaries between wind types (shocks, shears, reconnection).
◦ Track the spatial evolution of the interfaces between fast, intermediate, and slow solar wind regimes at the solar surface and in the inner and extended corona.
◦ Determine the relative roles of coronal source effects and interplanetary processing in the appearance of the heliospheric plasma at 1 AU (radial evolution).
◦ Characterise turbulence/fluctuations and link to processes at work in source regions.
◦ Measure the variability of the solar wind outflow velocity mapped over the full outer corona through the solar cycle.