Plots are in GSE (geocentric solar ecliptic) coordinates, so Earth is at [0,0], the Sun is at [1,0]. The plot is the projection of the orbit on the ecliptic plane.
Second NMP orbit, including 3 RSwindows.
RS windows (default placement):
Safe Mode Comms Blackout
Largest Comms Roll
|MTP 06||South||2021-09-04||2021-09-08||2021-09-18||0.70||0.64||0.58||-05.07||-05.12||-05.03||161||164||169||NO||YES (RSW Days 8 to 10)||00||NO|
|MTP 06||VGAM 4||N/A||2021-11-23|
VGAM4 at 2021-11-23, so 3rd RSW need to moved out of 2021-10-23 to 2021-12-01 period, i.e. shift 10 days earlier or move to completely different period.
New proposal for RSwindow placement:
- Keep MTP06 South and Perihelion
- MTP06 North can be moved without loosing science as the max inclination of this orbit (<5º) is negligible anyway. It can be moved either to:
- After the VGAM, to end 2021 or start 2022, i.e the very end of MTP06 or start MTP07. This option has extremely good TM but will be far from the Sun, e.g. ending around 0.8AU.
- Move between MTP06 south and perihelion windows. Depending on the science goal you may want to concatenate it to any of those two, or move all 3 windows together to cover 30 consecutive days of RS operations (may have drawback for calibration opportunities though).
- Option 1 has the advantage that it can partially solve the problem of the huge underrun expected for end 2021-start 2022. Also the MTP06 perihelion window can be heavily loaded with TM, stored onboard, and dumped once we have moved closer to Earth.
SOOP planning proposals
- MTP06-South: 10 days of Magnetic field synoptics to construct Carrington maps including Earth data and SolO data (still low latitude) : L_FULL_HRES_LCAD_MagnFieldConfig (adressing objective 188.8.131.52.1 How does the Sun's magnetic field change over time? & 1.1.3 Source regions of the heliospheric magnetic field)
- MTP06-Perihelion: Short period (~30mins) of R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_RS-burst
- Alternatively, or combined with previous objective, the South and Perihelion window can also be merged together and serve to address slow SW connection science goals, in particular SOOP L_BOTH_MRES_MCAD_Farside_Connection, possibly combined with L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection_Mosaic
Note that if you shift the South window later to improve TM and concatenate it with the Perihelion window, one needs to take into account the conjunction period in between (concatenated windows may end up being only just 20days long without precursor)
- MTP06-North: to be started asap after GAM, i.e. 30 Nov 2021 running until 9 Dec 2021 (implies NO precursors). Solar distance range of 0.77AU to 0.82AU. To be decided by SWT whether this is worth pursuing (SoloHI and Metis restrictions).
Current model (SAP v0): RS windows at default locations still
- MTP06_South: L_FULL_HRES_LCAD_MagnFieldConfig throughout RSW
- MTP06_Peri: L_BOTH_MRES_MCAD_Farside_Connection for 9 days & 30 mins R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_RS-burst at end of window
- MTP06-North: L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection_Mosaic (3hrs/day) combined with L_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_Fast-Wind rest of the time throughout RSW
(may need to be shortened due to TM restrictions)
- I_DEFAULT outside of RSwindows, L_IS_STIX on inside all RSwindows