Plots are in GSE (geocentric solar ecliptic) coordinates, so Earth is at [0,0], the Sun is at [1,0]. The plot is the projection of the orbit on the ecliptic plane.
3rd orbit in NMP.
RS window (default) placement
Safe Mode Comms Blackout
Largest Comms Roll
This orbit has been exercised during the SOWG8 PlanningExercise2016_withResults.pptx.
Preliminary proposal in that exercise was the following: TBW
MTP7 - South:
Start of the RSW is beyond 0.55AU so we can offpoint with Metis still observing. This fits the requirements of:
- R_SMALL_HRES_LCAD_Composition-vs-Height (streamer case for which we need Metis)
- L_SMALL_HRES_MCAD_Suprathermal_Popul for objective 188.8.131.52 Role of shocks in generating SEPs.
We could choose several limb pointings and switch between them during few days.
MTP7 - perihelion:
- R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_AR-Dynamics would fit at start of perihelion (good TM)
- Objectives requiring Metis & SoloHI to observe Earth-directed Transients, as SolO is in quadrature with SoloHI looking towards Earth:
- Combine with connection science goals on slow solar wind sources. These require modelling to find the most likely connection point.
SOOPs L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection_Mosaic combined with L_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_SlowWindConnection (higher res/cadence RS to explore source region in more detail) or L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Ballistic-connection
If we happen to point at a coronal hole boundary, also the SOOP L_SMALL_HRES_LCAD_CH_Boundary_Expansion fits.
MTP7 - Perihelion+ North: these 2 concatenated windows could also be used for L_FULL_LRES_MCAD_Coronal-Synoptic SOOP
Modelled in SAP v0:
I_DEFAULT outside of RSwindows, L_IS_STIX on inside all RSwindows
MTP7 - South: first 2 days of limb pointing:
- 1 day R_SMALL_HRES_LCAD_Composition_vs_Height
- 1 day L_SMALL_HRES_MCAD_Suprathermal_Popul
MTP7 - perihelion: we prefer to model slow wind connection science over eruption watch because of the time in the solar cycle (rising phase) which simplifies slow wind structure and lower chances for eruptions:
- L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection_Mosaic (~3hr/day) interleaved with L_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_SlowWindConnection (~21hrs/day)
(can be modelled in 2 big blocks, i.e. ~1 day of first SOOP and 9 days of 2nd SOOP)
- if it turns out there is extra TM available, we model R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_AR-Dynamics on the 1st day of perihelion RSW
MTP7 - north: L_FULL_LRES_MCAD_Coronal-Synoptic throughout RSW