Plots are in GSE (geocentric solar ecliptic) coordinates, so Earth is at [0,0], the Sun is at [1,0]. The plot is the projection of the orbit on the ecliptic plane.
4rd orbit in NMP.
RS window (default) placement
Safe Mode Comms Blackout
Largest Comms Roll
|MTP 08||South||2022-08-10||2022-08-14||2022-08-24||0.65||0.59||0.53||-12.86||-13.07||-12.83||167||171||178||YES (RSW Days 9 & 10)||YES (RSW Days 3 to 10)||00||NO|
Connection science during solar minimum or rising phase, using all 3 RS windows + 1 instance of the RS burst observations
MTP8 - South window
- PHI magnetogram data at far side using L_FULL_HRES_LCAD_MagnFieldConfig for the magnetic field modelling
Take some time to combine PHI data with Earth magnetogram data and construct the full solar magnetic model
MTP8 - Perihelion
Use perihelion extension window to update the model and choose the RS target:
- keep synoptic program during 10-20 days chasing the connection point: L_BOTH_MRES_MCAD_Farside-Connection, possibly combined with L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection-Mosaic (~3hrs per day)
- At the end of this perihelion window , we also plan a short period (~30mins) of R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_RSburst at the chosen target as this perihelion RSW has good TM downlink which even improves when moving further towards Earth
MTP8 - North
- keep synoptic program chasing the connection point: L_BOTH_MRES_MCAD_Farside-Connection, possibly combined with L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection-Mosaic (~3hrs per day)
Alternative for MTP8 - Perihelion+ North:
- These windows have high TM downlink, and could be suitable to schedule a few instances of R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_RSburst to enhance chances of catching energetic particle events (see 3.2.6 Effects of energetic particles propagating downward in the chromosphere). TM return can even be improved by moving the 2 windows later, starting at perihelion instead of before. In the case of starting at Perihelion itself, the distance range covered during the two concatenated windows would be 0.3-0.5 AU.
- these 2 concatenated windows could also be used for L_FULL_LRES_MCAD_Coronal-Synoptic SOOP
Modelled in SAP v0:
modelled exactly like the proposal above in first 3 sections (south/peri/north) + I_DEFAULT outside of RSwindows, L_IS_STIX on inside all RSwindows