At SWT#24 (2-4 April 2019), real operations start! Being ~10 months away from launch, the mission level planning of the Cruise Phase with special attention to LTP01 (from end of commissioning until 01 July 2020) should take place.
LTP01 is special because the first 4 months fall within Near Earth Commissioning Phase during which no science operations will be planned. Therefore LTP01 in practice only starts at the start of Cruise Phase and thus covers ~mid May (depending on launch date) to end June 2020.
Preparatory work done by SOC prior to SWT#24
The existing plan for the Cruise Phase, as built in SOOP Kitchen during SOWG#11 has been revised by SOC and upgraded to
be compatible with the new observation definitions provided by the instrument teams
contain the shift in time for RS checkout window 1, as approved during the mini-SWT (see MLP of Cruise during SOWG#13 (mini-SWT))
optimise the data rates for InSitu payload - see presentation during SWT#24 (see Summary of Plan Optimisation for the In Situ Payload)
contain the updates to the timelines as requested by some RS instrument teams (EUI via email and Metis via UM 9.0)
fix any broken coordinated campaigns between RS instruments: the changes made and remaining questions are documented on Summary of changes made to original Cruise Phase plan for RS payload
- The upgraded plan, in the version prior to SWT#24, is available in SOOP Kitchen: https://solarorbiter.esac.esa.int/soopkitchen/#/planning/plan/MLP%20Feb%202020/941
Required planning during SWT#24
- Recap of the main campaigns in Cruise Phase plan in SOOP Kitchen (check whether any important campaigns are missing)
- Discuss the coordinated campaigns scheduled throughout Cruise and any questions remaining (highlighted in red on Summary of changes made to original Cruise Phase plan for RS payload)
- Discussion of star calibration campaign, led by RSWG
- Review simulation results to discuss any optimisation, in particular for IS data rates
- Review LTP01, i.e. May-June 2020, and placement of RSCW1 and extra RS passes that will be requested
- All presentations of SWT#24 are available from http://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/solar-orbiter/ (follow the links ‘Science Team’→’SWT Documents’, file SolarOrbiter_SWT-24_Presentations.zip)
Decisions made at meeting
- Minutes of the meeting: SolarOrbiter_SWT-24_Minutes.pdf
- Planned Cruise Phase RS campaigns were reviewed by the RSWG and confirmed to be complete. However, there are still some inconsistencies in the coordinated campaigns (as reported in Summary of changes made to original Cruise Phase plan for RS payload), in particular in RSCW4. The RSWG took the action to review and update these campaigns before SOWG#14 (July 2019).
- The SWT reviewed the IS data rates optimisation and proposed to cut the first low mode period (Aug-Dec 2020) in two and add a period of normal rate (~4 weeks) in the middle around the time of the PSP perihelion (27 Sep 2020). A first proposal for MAG observations has been worked out in a test plan in SOOP Kitchen. The ISWG took the action to work out the details for each instrument before SWT#25.
SWT agreed with the rest of the optimised plan as presented by the SOC.
- The RSWG proposed to test out the SPROUT SOOP, i.e. out-of-window synoptic RS programme on the last day of RSCW4 - details still to be worked out.