The following ideas were presented by instrument teams during RSWG meeting on 17 Jan (SoloHI not present). Additions from follow-up meeting on 20 Jan added in italics.
LTP8 (2022-06-27 - 2022-09-26)
- EUI: synoptics through LTP8, maybe testing flare triggering + if possible some HRI images
- Metis synoptics: revised version (see slide)
- (no input regarding proposed PHI synoptics)
- SPICE: synoptics at ~0.5*EID-A rate
- STIX observes as usual, brings back LL to decide on science data downlink
LTP9 (2022-09-26 - 2022-12-26)
Before start of RSW:
- Alignment campaign. Proposed date: Just before before start of RSW4, e.g. around 5-6 Oct (see also J. Hirzberger's e-mail on potential dates for PHI FDT flat field campaign, incl. 7 Oct) . Rationale: Close distance to Sun is required (so doing it after RSW6 would not add much knowledge to past campaigns). Limb pointing. Not data-heavy (1 SPICE raster and a few EUI images would be sufficient). If difficult, could also be done during RSW4-6.
During RSWs - start of RSW period (incl. perihelion 12 Oct and quadrature 16 Oct)
- EUI: AR observations during quadrature and perihelion in first RSW - see slide, including AR at west limb maybe only 1 hour per day to serve Metis (but note limited Metis door operations)
EUI: 2nd full sun mosaic on Oct 12 + extra QS and polar campaigns
- Metis: coronal dynamics SOOP (L_FULL_HRES_HCAD_Coronal-Dynamics) during RSW1 before perihelion (8-12 Oct)
and after perihelion (13-15 Oct) → left out in RSWG discussion to allow offpointing to AR
- Metis at perihelion: R_FULL_HRES_HCAD_Density-Fluctuations. (12-13 Oct)
- Metis would be OK with off-pointing, and thus not observing, during the 2nd RSW (or other agreed time period)
- PHI: long time evolution of an AR (several days / or at least 2 weeks?) at moderate cadence (see slide) → suggested SOOP: R_BOTH_HRES_HCAD_Filaments, including short bursts at higher cadence. Co-observations from Earth
(note: PHI proposes to add moderate cadence HRI data, but EUI team would like to avoid long exposures to EUV light without observations being taken)
- PHI: R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_RS-burst for high resolution analysis of heating of loops
- SPICE: L_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_Connection-Mosaic (Alessandra) to be run close to perihelion (middle RSW1) with 6 pointings, 6 to 8 hours dwell time (8 hrs would take into account potential WOLs interrupting) = 48 hrs in total
- SPICE: R_SMALL_HRES_MCAD_Polar-Observations (Andrzej) to be run in RSW1 near quadrature with Earth (12 hours duration)
- SPICE: large raster and full spectrum mini raster (based on CC_OFFPOI_OOF) to be run close to quadrature with Earth, offpoint to West limb (Alessandra)
- SPICE: R_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_AR-Long-Term (Susanna) to monitor plasma parameters variation in AR: 1 observation per day or per 2 days, following ARs (Doppler map) - could last over full RSWs period (repeated below)
During RSWs - end of RSW period
- Metis: L_BOTH_HRES_LCAD_CH-Boundary-Expansion with disk centre pointing at start RSW3 (@0.45AU) (28-29 Oct)
- Metis: L_FULL_HRES_HCAD_Eruption-Watch with disk centre pointing at end RSW3 (@0.45-0.57 AU)
- PHI: long time series (several hours) at high cadence of both AR and QS, combi with EUI/HRI and SPICE (for studies of flows and waves inside sunspots, requiring stereoscopy):
- end of RSW2 on reduced FOV (target sunspot/AR)
- repeat at end RSW3 with full FOV incl sunspot and QS (high TM)
- proposed SOOP: R_SMALL_HRES_HCAD_Atmospheric_Dynamics_Structure (incl EUI and SPICE) but longer duration
- SPICE R_BOTH_HRES_MCAD_Bright-Points (Andrzej): at least one 8-hrs study at QS target, better to repeat several times. Ideally towards end of RSW3, when SolO is close to sun-earth line.
- SPICE: new SOOP (Andrzej) for studying Coronal Heating in ARs targetting several small or simple ARs near central meridian, tracking for several hours OR repeat on 1 AR 2 or 3 times every 5-10 hours. To be run close to Earth-Sun line = RSW3.
- SPICE: R_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_AR-Long-Term (Susanna) to monitor plasma parameters variation in AR: 1 observation per day or per 2 days, following ARs (Doppler map) - could last over full RSWs period (repeated above)
- EUI early Dec: PSP passage over disk & perihelion in quadrature
- EUI: Transition corona SOOP to include FSI occulter mode → can be run for many days at end LTP9 (because EUI sees the same as EUVI and similar to SDO)
- RS synoptics
- EUI calibration: more towards November when close to Earth : annealing & calibration
- SPICE+EUI+Metis star calibration on 9 Nov (alpha Vir): much brighter than the previous calibration stars observed: definitely visible by SPICE, maybe also by EUI (repeat campaign used for Theta Oph March 2021)
Ideas for LTP10-LTP11
- next SPICE+EUI+Metis star calibration on 2 Feb 2023
- Mercury transits on 3 January and 27 June 2023 (distance from Sun is 0.95AU). Pointing stability needed during tracking (SOC expects pointing performance to be same as for disk centre or AR tracking)
→ opportunity to be confirmed after next GAM, also to be decided whether we want to track passage through FOVs or rather track the planet
Jesper Schou brings up that not tracking has advantage that it can be used to calibration S/C roll angle
No alternative proposals for the concatenated 30 days, as currently planned
- EUI expected peak TM storage on Oct 21, later observations can only be transferred at rate of downlinking
- Metis would like to select a full day around perihelion free of WOLs if possible. SOC can ask FDynamics to respect that but day(s) would need to be known at time of pre-LTP TN (end Feb in case of LTP8).
This would help in reducing door operations for periods of off-pointing (or better said, when WOLs would risk going over safety limit).
- EUI team would like to avoid long exposures of HRI/EUV telescope to EUV light without observations being taken
- Period of 16-24 October (current placeholder: R_SMALL_MRES_MCAD_AR-Long-Term): G. Valori proposes to define a new SOOP involving PHI, SPICE, EUI (SPICE & PHI requests from Monday seem consistent; vector magnetograms needed, not only LoS). S. Parenti to coordinate.